Best Selling Heavy Metal Albums of All Time
One would think that collecting a list of the best selling heavy metal albums of all time would be an easy task. I suppose it is, but probably the hardest part is defining a “heavy metal” album. I went for the broad definition. Some would argue that some of the albums are not heavy metal at all, but more classic rock, blues or hard rock, or even pop. Piss off is all I can say to you who want to make that argument. You are welcome to your own opinion. We would be happy to publish an alternative list if you compile it. Then there is the whole thing about sales figures. Who really know? No one really knows for sure, but here’s what we’ve come up with based on our resources. The list is best guesses.
- AC/DC – Back in Black released in 1980 with 42 million sold
- Led Zeppelin – IV released in 1971 with 32 million sold
- Bon Jovi – Slippery When Wet released in 1986 with 28 million sold
- Guns N’ Roses – Appetite for Destruction released in 1987 with 28 million sold
- Iron Butterfly – In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida released in 1968 with 25 million sold
- Metallica – Metallica released in 1991 with 22 million sold
- Def Leppard – Hysteria released 1987 with 20 million sold
- Led Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin II released in 1969 with 12 million sold
- Led Zeppelin – Houses of the Holy released in 1973 with 11 million sold
- Van Halen – Van Halen released in 1978 with 10 million sold
Do you think I should have included Nirvana? Do you think I should have excluded Led Zeppelin? I know you hate to see Bon Jovi on the list. Tough. You forgot about Iron Butterfly didn’t you? You should all have these albums in your collection, save maybe Slippery When Wet.